Owosso Coal Mines

Owosso, Michigan

Mining has at least a brief history in Owosso, with a coal mine starting in 1857 and operating until 1864.

The shaft of this mine was on the south side of the Shiawassee River about 100 feet west of where the Shiawassee St. bridge now stands.

An experimental mine shaft appears to have been dug in the back yard of 1044 Pearce St. in 1971. Deep down in the hole could be seen the old timbers of what appeared to be a coal mine shaft. It was possibly sunk by Robert Gage Mining Company of Bay County.

Shiawassee County Coal Mines

Shiawassee County History