The Brown Clock Company sold several hundred street clock in the early 1900's. This website lists approximately 55 clocks at this time.
Brown built five different street clock models with tallest being 14 feet, 10 inches. The head and base were made of cast iron and the fluted column of 2-ply, 22 gauge galvanized steel, doric design. The dials were custom designed with the jeweler's name on it. And clock numbers could be either Roman or Arabic style font.
The Brown Street Clock pictured below, today, is owned by the City of Monessen, PA. It was moved from Owosso, Michigan and restored in 2014.
F.A. Earl's jewelry store closed in the 1980's.
Steve Schmidt purchased the clock from a Traverse City antique shop in the early 1990's
Below, the dial and marquee have been replaced with new plex.
Here is the clock in Nov. 1996 downtown Owosso, MI
Vern and Steve Schmidt put the finishing touches on the installation
V.L. Schmidt Jewelers closed in 2012 and sold the clock to the City of Monessen, PA
Moving the clock to Monessen in 2013
John Harhai, Monessen City Administrator and Jan, the Mayor of Monessen are to be credited
with bringing the clock back to Monessen. It was their vision to use the clock as the centerpiece
of the downtown renewal project.
A major jewelry supply company by the name of Swartchild & Company of Chicago, advertised the Brown Street Clock Company line of street clocks in its circa 1910 catalog.
Dial Gears set-up
This clock was converted to electric by adding a 1 rpm Telechron motor to the orginial movement - above and below.
More about Brown Street Clocks and the Brown Street Clock Registry